Friday, June 20, 2008

High on Hong Kong...and Chemical Toilets

I have a headache. It could be from the jetlag. It could also be from the beer and scotch I drank last night. It is possible it is due to the fact I haven't had my caffeine for the day. But I doubt any of those are the real reason. I suspect the cause of this particular headache can be attributed to the fact I sat next to the airplane bathrooms for thirteen straight hours on my fight from SFO to Hong Kong. Even though I have been in HK for nearly 24 hours I can still smell the chemical toilets and United Airlines branded air freshener.



HK...I came here about a year ago to visit two of my friends, Tim and Dawn. That trip was fun, exciting, and documented in a posting called The Hong Kong Triad. Thus, for a rundown of what HK has to offer please feel free to read that post. Instead of rehashing the sights and sounds of HK, I am going to quickly discuss something else: what in the hell am I doing in HK? Good question.

The answer: Hong Kong is the starting point of what will be a two and a half month adventure across the Asia and Europe. Starting in Hong Kong, it is my plan to travel through China, Mongolia, Russia, and Eastern Europe, finally ending somewhere with a cheap flight back to the US. Right how those locations are looking like either Istanbul, Berlin, Frankfurt, or London. A few things should be noted:

1.) The trip will, as long as it is possible and practical, be completed overland. This means trains, buses, boats, horses, camels, and my own two feet will be used over the next ten or so weeks to get me from Hong Kong to Europe.

2.) I will be completing the trip with Kyle Sonnonstine, my roommate and fellow lover of the Graduate from Berkeley. James Platts, another Berkeleyan and the coolest Republican I know will also be traveling with us for awhile, mainly through Monglolia and Russia.

3.) There is a good chance we will end up in a jail somewhere.

Yes, I know it is a very long trip from the southern tip of Asia to the European continent. And yes, I also know that I don't speak Cantonese, Manderin, Mongolian, Russian, or any language in Eastern Europe. But it is ok. With a little patience, luck, and pointing to things, the trip should prove itself to be a grand adventure.



So that's it. I look forward to writing every once in awhile, and posting photos when I have the opportunity. Oh, and I look forward to staying out of various post-Soviet Bloc jails as well.

2 comments:

D-Nice said...

hey paulie,

so jealous of your travels, but thanks for sharing. It makes me feel like I'm there in spirit instead of sitting here working for the man in my little cube;-) Enjoy and travel safely!

Unknown said...

remes...pick up the blogging...I'm bored at work and was hoping for some entertainment!