Monday, June 23, 2008

Hi from Shanghai

Corny, I know.

Let's start with this: Shanghai is what China aspires to be. I do believe what China is building here is a model city. They have cultivated a a world-facing metropolis that mixes Chinese culture and tradition with high finance and trade. And, judging by the number of iPod toting teenagers, high rise shopping malls, and Buicks, they are doing a damn good job of it.

That is Shanghai.

As of right now I am not entirely impressed. Sure, I appreciate the excellent subway system, the wide boulevards, and the fast food chains, but for some reason the city seems to be lacking something. Now, before all you Shanghaiophiles call for my head let me mention one thing: I have only been here for two days. And of those two days, nearly all of it has been spent near Nanjing road and the Bund. I really haven't gotten out to see the city...but I will do so today. Who knows, maybe my Shanghai tune will change.

On another note: my traveling buddy Kyle arrived yesterday. It was great to see a familiar face walk through the doors of the hostel. For the next 9-10 weeks, Kyle will walk side-by-side in search of fun, adventure, and Coors Light. While the former two should be easy to find, the later may be more difficult. But we will not be detered fro accomplishing our goals. So stay tuned...

That is all I have for now. I imagine I will ammend this entry later today to reflect my cultural experiences and my consumption of dumplings and steamed buns.

No comments: