Thursday, July 10, 2008

Across the Mongolian Steppe on a Horse Named Roger


I am not nearly as sore as I thought I would be. I expected three days of riding across the Mongolian steppe on a horse to cause a bit more pain than it did. Maybe I am tougher at 29 than I thought?

I have been in Mongolia for about a week now. While some of that time has been spent in Ulaan Bataar, the better part of the past week was spent on the back of a horse named Roger on the Mongolian steppe. A little background...



A few years back I read an article written by a guy who had ridden horses through the Mongolian steppe. He wrote about galloping across the vast grasslands of Mongolia, meeting local nomads, and living, for at least a short time, like many Mongolians have for centuries. Well, me being the hopeless romantic that I am, became very much attached to this story and made it a goal of mine to visit this vast country and ride, uninhibited, across the steppe as well.

Done.

A few days ago Kyle and I left UB for the countryside. By means of an organization named Stepperiders, we were able to book at three day trek that would take us through a national park, to a Buddist monastery, and across the vast grasslands of central Mongolia. While we hoped to travel for a bit longer, the three days was plenty of time to see some remarkable landscape, meet some interesting people, bruise the heck out of our bums.



Here are a few notes from the trek:
1.) The Mongolians didn't name my horse Roger, I did. However, I hope it sticks.
2.) We were able to camp for a few nights and we also stayed in a ger, which is a traditional nomadic home...it kind of looks like a yurt...which is like a fancy tent.
3.) There was an American couple at the ger camp when we returned from our trek. After talking for a bit I found out that the guy is actually an english teacher at Webber Junior High School back in Fort Collins. As I should have known, Webber Panthers are always doing big time things!
4.) One of the highlights of the trek was having the opportunity to meet nomads in the steppe. While one meeting was planned, we were able to interact with several families and herders during our time in the countryside.
5.) While we did eat some mutton, we were not served NEARLY as much as I had expected. I don't know if I am disappointed or relieved.



So now we are back in Ulaan Bataar for the Nadaam Festival, which starts tomorrow. The festival is essentially the Nomad Olympics, consisting of wrestling, archery, horse racing, and lamb ankle bone throwing. Yep, ankle bones.

Finally, beer is again being served in UB. Thank goodness, my stories aren't nearly as funny without beer involved.

Oh, and yep, that is a Mongolian corn dog. Happy Birthday Paul!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Hey, Happy Birthday! There's really no better way to celebrate than with a Mongolian corn dog (or at least that's what I hear). Thanks for the continued updates on your travels. Looking forward to your eventual trek back through Chicago!

Kristi

nick said...

Is it just me, or is Kyle's horse really small?

jillandjoe said...

Happy Birthday Pauly! Love reading about your antics and can't wait to see you soon.